I want to be big like #GIRLBOSS

It all started with “I can do this.” This meaning making a petite bow even though I never really sewed before. I have always felt crafty and thought that I could teach myself.
I’m not going to lie. I was a complete mess. Sloppy stitching with poor construction. But I kept at it. I would spend my nights sewing till the wee hours. Just to get the perfect bow
At the time the handmade business was new in my world. I found that Instagram had this amazing community of small business owners and I was inspired from the start. I started off gifting items to my close friends. And after I got feedback, I decided to go for it and either go big or go home. From that point on, I was it for the long haul. Determined to make it work. I had this fear of what they would think and what the world would think. Putting a creation out there is gut wrenching.
People don’t realize the countless hours invested and sacrifices small business owners make. Luckily, I have the most amazing family support. With that said, owning a small handmade business is a freaking ton of work. I had to put the word freaking in there because it highlights TON OF WORK that include unwashed dishes, huge pile of laundry, and a room filled with felt dust.
I set aside weekend to concentrate on my house chores.
Seriously, when I first started I had no idea how stressful it was. I mean, you look on Instagram and everyone has glorified posts. So beautiful and perfect, but behind those glorified posts are wrinkles, grey hairs and tears. I don’t know about other handmade businesses but I have ups and downs on a daily basis.

So why do this you ask? Its a form of therapy for me. Colours and craft makes me happy. I have a permanent full time job during the day. I have been in the estate management for the last 15 years and in the same company for more than 10 years, work has always been crazy. So to come home, play with the kids, read goodnight stories, tuck them to bed, chill with coffee and netflix and cutting fabric is therapeutic for me.
There are many days when I just want to throw in the towel. When I get this feeling of defeat I try to remind myself of my business philosophy. Creating a Ny & Lu culture where mama, mummies, umi, ibu, mom, mak, unite to share the joys of parenthood, with fashion.

The clencher…seeing all my cute customers wearing my bows. So rewarding.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.